Chairman: Councillor Robinson
Venue: Function Room 1, Civic Centre, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe
2. Declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests and personal or personal and prejudicial interests and declarations of whipping arrangements (if any).
3. To take the minutes of the meeting of the panel held on 13 December 2016 as a correct record and authorise the chairman to sign.
4. Public speaking requests, if any.
5. Local Flood Risk Management Strategy
5.1 Discussion and questions with the council's Head of Highways and Neighbourhood Services and Flood Risk Engineer.
5.2 Next stages, if any.
6. Community Governance Review
7. Added Item (if any).
8. Any other items that the Chairman decides are urgent by reason of special circumstances that must be specified.
PRESENT: – Councillor Robinson in the chair.
Councillors Gosling (Vice-Chair), Ali, J Davison and Wells.
The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
59 DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) - The following members declared personal interests -
|Member||Minute||Nature of Interest|
|Councillor Gosling||62||Member of Gunness Parish Council|
|Councillor Robinson||62||Member of Epworth Town Council|
No whip was declared.
60 MINUTES - Resolved - That the minutes of the proceedings of this panel held on 13 December 2016, having been printed and circulated amongst the members, be taken as read and correctly recorded and signed by the chairman.
61 (11) PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK - The Director of Policy and Resources informed the meeting that as per the council's procedure rules, a request to speak at the meeting had been received from Mr Corlett.
The Chairman welcomed Mr Corlett to the meeting, and briefly outlined the process that was to be followed at the meeting.
Mr Corlett introduced himself and thanked the members for allowing him the opportunity to address the meeting. The speaker referred to a Local Government information Unit (LGiU) publication titled 'citizen power in recession? The case for public engagement in local government' which had previously been circulated to panel members.
Mr Corlett gave a verbal presentation, which focused on -
- The importance of community engagement,
- Provisions contained within the Localism Act 2011,
- North Lincolnshire Council's Community Engagement Plan and the four key themes contained within the document,
- Opportunities for effective and authentic engagement.
- Additional narratives that could be added to the Plan,
- Concern over meetings being published as open to all and then the public being refused entry for the discussion and debate,
- Community Engagement Plan refresh.
Following Mr Corlett's presentation, the chairman facilitated a discussion on community engagement.
Resolved - (a) That Mr Corlett be thanked for his attendance, presentation and for answering members' questions, and (b) that the Panel invite the appropriate council officers to a future meeting to discuss the Community Engagement Plan.
62 COMMUNITY GOVERNANCE REVIEW - The Chairman facilitated a discussion amongst the Panel Members on the consultation element of the Community Governance Review. Members paid particular attention to the information required from the consultation, the method of consultation and the timetable to be followed.
Resolved - That the update be noted.
63 ADDED ITEM - There was no added item for consideration at the meeting.