Appointment/Re-appointment of Local Authority School Governors
10 APPOINTMENT/RE-APPOINTMENT OF LOCAL AUTHORITY SCHOOL GOVERNORS - The Director: Learning, Skills and Culture submitted a report seeking the re-appointment of a suitable candidate to serve as a local authority (LA) governor on the governing body of St Peter and St Paul CE Primary School and the appointment of suitable candidates to serve on the governing bodies of various schools.
Governing bodies were the key strategic decision-making body for schools. It was the governing body’s role to set a school’s strategic framework and to ensure that all statutory duties were met. The Department for Education identified three main duties, which were:
• ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
• holding the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
• overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money was well spent
Local authority governors must have:
• an interest in the future education and wellbeing of all children
• the skills and desire to make a difference
• a willingness to accept responsibility
• an ability to work in a team, ask questions, listen and learn
• time and commitment to undertake governor duties
• a commitment to fulfil the Nolan principles which related to Standards in Public Life.
When a LA governor vacancy occurred, the relevant governing body identified the necessary skills, knowledge and experience that would be required of the successful candidate(s). All potential applicants (including re-appointments) were required to complete an application form identifying their skills, knowledge and experience. The LA nominated suitable candidates to the school and the governing body decided whether the nominee met their requirements. The governing body may choose to reject or appoint the candidate accordingly.
Resolved – (a) That the proposal to nominate for re-appointment to the governing body of St Peter and St Paul CE Primary School governing body, the applicant detailed in Appendix 1, Table 2 to the report, be approved, and (b) that the proposal to nominate for appointment to the governing bodies of Castledyke Primary School, Scunthorpe CE Primary School and The Humber Estuary Federation, the applicants detailed in Appendix 1, Table 3 to the report, be approved.